Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rosyrain

Selling old books

8 posts in this topic

I have a ton of old books that I would like to get rid of an make a little cash from, but they are mostly novels and books that are not worth much. What is the best platform to use to earn a little extra money back from my books? Ebay, Amazon, some other method?

Well for starters, I'd suggest starting off with a site like BookScouter or BookFinder. They're not necessarily sale sites but they show what companies will offer you in exchange for books that they'll buyback. It is done by ISBN, so a bit time consuming, but still very useful. You won't always get a very good buyback rate though, so if you don't find a good price on there then the next step is to try out a site to sell directly to people looking for that particular book in a used format. eBay would be my first choice, but in my experience things like used books and clothes don't sell well on there. Or, if you want to stick strictly to buybacks, Textbooks.com, Powell's Books, and Chegg are a few others I've heard of while searching around. 

Above selling online though, if the book isn't something that is out of print and well sought for (thus has a higher buyback price) your best bet might actually be as simple as a garage sale. Good luck with the selling, hope you're able to make the extra cash you're looking for! :)

cocolgooh likes this

If you're willing to take them to a second hand book store you can earn a fair amount through selling them there, I've found. I took a few older books (not first editions or anything, and they were all paperbacks, I think they were from the 70's, 80's and 90's and mostly short fiction type stories aimed at children, teens and adults) and I got between £0.25 (for a fairly battered book) to £7 for one that was in great condition from the 70's. If you've got a secondhand bookstore there that pays for books it might be worth taking them there for a valuation if it's convenient to do so. I think I got about £40 total for the 20 or so books I took when I was going into the town anyway. It beat posting them all for sure!

If you'd rather do it online though (which I can totally understand as taking a mountain of books with you anywhere is inconvenient!) I'd recommend Amazon as I think they have the price set already based on the book. You just type in it's details and they do all the rest! I sold a couple of old textbooks on there for £17, and an old equestrian book I had lying around for about £8 (although I think the postage cost me £6 so it was barely worth it for that one.) 

I think I will give Amazon a try because they are best known for their book sales anyway. It seems like I would get the best possible traffic, and potential sales from that site. Ebay has turned into a bit of a monster in the last couple of years in that the users drive down the prices of everything so much that it is hardly worth the effort to post something for sale these days.

Good luck with selling them! Hopefully you can get a fair bit from them! I'd agree with that the customers have driven down the prices too much on eBay. You should be able to get more on Amazon for sure!

It really depends on the genre of your books, as to whether you can get a fair price on Amazon. I have had some luck with do-it-yourself books, and mysteries. The problem is that Amazon sellers tend to be book dealers. They will sell books for as low as a penny apiece. I don't know if they use them as a tax write-off or what, but it's very frustrating to those of us who need to make some real money.

I've found that selling books on eBay and Amazon is a thankless task. It's true that the majority of Amazon sellers are dealers and so it becomes difficult to undercut them in price. With eBay, you often end up having to sell the item for 99p and have a third of that profit swallowed up by fees. 

Whilst they don't offer the going rate, I've always preferred the convenience of a buyback site (We Buy Books is a good UK site). Once the ISBN numbers have been entered, the remainder of the process is quick and simple. Some sites will even collect the books from your house. 

I've actually been looking into this myself as I have a lot of books that I wouldn't mind getting paid to part with ;). It seems like online is best for textbooks and such but for the kinds of books we're talking about it might actually be better to have a garage sale, or sell them to a used book store....something in person might end up being a better profit for you versus amazon or ebay.